Good diet and nutrition plays an extremely important role in maintaining a healthy body and fit physique. To make it easier to keep on top of your fitness goals, the Aztec Club would like to bring you easy, tasty and healthy recipe suggestions each month.
This month’s recipe is a Shepherd-less Pie, a nutritious recipe that’s infused with herbs and packed with veggies! Plus a delicious and filling vegan alternative to a traditional comfort food dish.
Ingredients – Serves 6
- 600 g potatoes
- 600 g sweet potatoes
- Unsweetened plant milk
- 1 onion
- 2 carrots
- 3 cloves of garlic
- 2 sticks of celery
- ½ a bunch of fresh thyme
- 100 ml vegetable stock
- 1 tin of lentils
- 1 tin of kidney beans
- 5 sprigs of fresh parsley
- 2 sprigs of fresh rosemary
- 1 tbsp coriander
- Peel and chop the potatoes and sweet potatoes into cubes. Then place the cubes into a pan of boiling water and let them simmer for around 15 minutes, or until soft. The sweet potatoes will soften quicker so you can add these after 5 minutes or so.
- Once cooked, drain the water from the pan and add a splash of unsweetened plant milk. Mash the potatoes until it turns smooth and fluffy. You can then set the mash aside and prepare the other vegetables.
- Dice the onion, carrots, garlic and celery into small chunks. Then sauté in a pan until the onions turn translucent and the carrot is soft.
- Add the coriander and vegetable stock to the pan. Then drain the lentils and kidney beans and add to the pan. Let it simmer and stir regularly until it reduces into a thick sauce.
- Finely chop the remaining herbs and stir them into the pan. You can also add an optional pinch of salt and pepper to taste.
- Transfer the filling into a baking dish, then spoon the mashed potato on top.
- Heat the oven to 200°C/400°F/gas 6 and place under the grill for around 10 minutes, or until the potato turns golden and crispy. Serve and enjoy!
We’d love to hear from you, so let us know if you give this recipe a try!
Latest posts by Joanna Kay (see all)
- KB Sounds Interview: A chat with TLH’s popular DJ entertainer - 31 January, 2019
- Vegan Options at the Aztec Bistro - 9 January, 2019
- Family Fun at Aztec Games - 4 July, 2018