Who doesn’t love a gorgeous, gooey, melt-in-the-mouth Pavlova to finish off a meal. Most of us are familiar with this delicious dessert and many of us have our own favourite recipe. However, just when you thought nothing more could be done to improve the dish, one of our chefs at TLH Leisure Resort has come up with a new twist.
Recently chefs from our four TLH Leisure Resort hotels competed in a friendly Chefs’ Challenge. Their task was to prepare a dessert that could be included on our hotel dinner menus. As you can probably imagine, judging the event was an arduous task (who are we trying to kid?). Our tasters manfully rose to the challenge – hey chaps – why no girls on the tasting panel? They deliberated over five different dishes, marking them on taste, presentation and overall appeal. The line-up included:
- Warm zesty pineapple and raisin enchilada with a cinnamon glaze, served with mango infused ice cream.
- Raspberry and pink lemonade cheesecake on a salted caramel biscuit with Sicilian lemon sauce
- Homemade pineapple and golden syrup sponge served with custard
- Banoffee Charlotte with a brushed toffee glaze and gingernut cream
- Berry Pavlova Surprise
And the winner was – cue drumroll – the Berry Pavlova Surprise, prepared by the TLH Carlton Hotel. It really is a showstopper, but don’t just take our word for it – here is the recipe for you to try for yourself at home.
Berry Pavlova Surprise
4 egg whites 250g castor sugar 1 tsp white wine vinegar 1 tsp cornflour 1 tsp vanilla extract 500g strawberries, hulled and halved 200g redcurrants, stalks removed 3tblsp icing sugar 200g strawberry jam – slightly melted 350ml double cream
- Preheat oven to 150˚C (130˚C fan)
- Whisk the egg whites with a hand mixer until they form stiff peaks. Slowly and carefully fold in the castor sugar, followed by the cornflour, vinegar and vanilla extract.
- Put the meringue in a piping bag and pipe small circles onto an oven tray lined with greaseproof or baking paper. Place in the oven and bake for 30 minutes. Turn off the oven and leave the meringues inside to cool completely (approx 3 hours or so).
- To serve – whip the cream until fairly stiff.
- Blend together the strawberries and redcurrants with the runny jam.
- Make a hole in the base of the meringues by gently pushing in the handle of a large wooden spoon (or a clean thumb).
- Fill the hollow meringues with the fruit and pipe in some cream to act as a plug.
- Place the Pavlova on a serving plate, pipe a small amount of cream on top, decorate with the remaining strawberries and dust with icing sugar.
Eat, enjoy and watch the surprised look on the faces of your friends and family as they dig in. If you don’t get the chance to try this out at home, make sure you look out for it on the TLH Carlton Hotel’s table d’hôte dinner menu on your next visit to TLH Leisure Resort.
Latest posts by 2013-03-01-11.12.31 (see all)
- Which are the Best Hotels in Torquay? | View our Top 4 - 28 November, 2017
- Reservations Manager Cuts Hair for Little Princess Trust - 21 September, 2017
- Mrs & Mrs Horn’s Torquay Wedding at the TLH Toorak Hotel - 20 July, 2017