10 Free Things to do in Torquay… Whatever Your Age!
Whether you’re a visitor to Torquay or lucky enough to live here, you’ll be surrounded by great things to do and see. We’ve listed our 10 favourite things to do which are tremendous fun and also free!
Visit some of the Best Torquay Beaches
1. Build Sandcastles – With over 19 beaches, Torquay’s sand on Torre Abbey beach is perfect for constructing amazing sand creations! You can use buckets and shovels, cups and spoons, or your hands.
2. Go Rockpooling – Come and explore the incredible marine life that lives in Torbay’s rock pools. Find wriggly starfish, anemones and crabs in the rockpools. Some great ones are Meadfoot Beach and Corbyn’s Head, only a few minutes walk from TLH.
3. Give Geocaching a go! – Described as 21st century treasure hunting, geocaching introduces you to unusual, interesting and beautiful locations and gets you walking either a long or a little way. It is so much fun and you will find places in your local area where you would normally not think of going. Download the free app and off you go! To learn more, read our blog explaining all about Geocaching!
4. Fly a Kite on Torre Abbey – You don’t even need to spend money buying a kite as there’s a great page here on how to make one out of recycling materials! Torre Abbey Meadows is a great open space for kite flying!
5. Go for a Scoot! – Scooting is a brilliant way for anyone of any age to get about. It’s a really fun activity to help get you moving. It’s healthy, environmentally friendly and inexpensive. With the seafront just minutes from TLH, it’s perfect for a scoot along with lots to see.
6. Visit the Geoplay Park, Paignton – Divided into 4 areas for different age groups and different play experiences, this fantastic play park also tells the story of the four critical geological time periods in Torbay’s history. Toddlers can ride on a trilobite and swing over a wetpour sea plus play on the seesaw, climbing hut, trampoline and spinner bowls. Older children can use the giant climbing net, towers, play huts, a six way swing, climbing logs and stilts and climbing trees.
Explore the Surrounding Countryside and Woodlands
7. Become a Gruffalo Spotter at Haldon Forest – Located just outside Exeter, Haldon Forest is home to Gruffalo Spotter Trail. Download the free app and follow clues along our interactive trail, tracking down signs of the characters from The Gruffalo. Clues will lead to five different footprint markers in the forest for each one of the characters from the book including the unmistakable footprint of the gruffalo! When you spot the markers point your phone’s camera at them, using the app to bring the characters to life. Thanks to augmented reality technology, the characters will appear to blend in within the forest around you!
8. Occombe Farm Nature Walk – This working organic farm is located just a few miles from TLH. There is a great 2km nature trail that runs through the farmland. You can also take a look in the forest garden, kitchen garden and apple orchard. You can also meet the animals including alpaca, sheep, ducks, lambs and chickens.
9. South West Coast Path – Originally created by coastguards patrolling for smugglers, the path stretches along the entire length of the English Riviera, South Devon’s beautiful bay, where you’ll find 22 miles of coastal path through some stunning Geopark scenery. How many Acorn signs can you see on the paths along the seafront?
10. Go Tree Spotting in Cockington Country Park – Take part in Cockington’s Tremendous Tree Trail and walk around the estate. Download your very own copy of this walk for free by clicking here. See if you can find the tallest tree in Torbay or the only known specimen of Jamaican Fiddlewood in Europe! Once you’ve done that, you can visit the Stable Craftyard or watch traditional crafts being created including the blacksmiths and glass-blowers plus take a stroll and see the quaint thatched cottages which Cockington is reknowned for.
With so much to see and do, Torquay is a great location for families and couples alike!
Latest posts by Sally Starling (see all)
- Have Your Own Royal Wedding at TLH in 2018! - 14 May, 2018
- Management Development Programme – Training Managers for the Future - 10 May, 2018
- 5 Great Activities in Torquay for your Toddler! - 27 April, 2018